Vejlerne and Løgstør Bredning
- Site number:145
- Area:43,534 ha
- Designation date:02-09-1977
- Coordinates:56°58'N 09°03'E
Materials presented on this website, particularly maps and territorial information, are as-is and as-available based on available data and do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
Vejlerne and Løgstør Bredning. 02/09/77; Region Norjylland; 43,534 ha; 056°56N 009°03E. Natura 2000 (SPA, SAC), Nature Conservation Area, Wildlife Reserves. A shallow, brackish fjord of open water, shoals, islands and saltmarshes internationally important for nesting, wintering and staging of numerous species of waterbirds. Abandonment and unsuccessful reclamation efforts led to the development of extensive reedbeds, lakes and meadows. The site is surrounded by rural landscape composed of privately owned forests and agricultural lands, causing eutrophication through cultivation of meadows in the adjacent area. A management plan for the site has been implemented since 2009. Bird watching tourism has increased since the creation of the new visitors centre and observation towers in 2001. Ramsar site no. 145. Most recent RIS information: 2012.
Thisted and Jammerbugt municipalities
- National legal designation:
- nature conservation area - Vejlerne, Skårup-Holm Tange, Livø, Løgstør (6,800 ha) and Bygholm Vejle (695 ha)
- Special Area of Conservation (SAC) - Special Area of Conservation (SAC)
- Special Protection Areas for Birds (SPA) - Vejlerne and Løgstør Bredning
- Wildlife and Nature reserve - Vejlerne, Løgstør Bredning, and around the island Borreholm
- Regional (international) legal designations:
- EU Natura 2000
- Last publication date:01-01-2012