Barrage Mohammed V
- Site number:1472
- Area:5,000 ha
- Designation date:15-01-2005
- Coordinates:34°40'N 02°57'W
Materials presented on this website, particularly maps and territorial information, are as-is and as-available based on available data and do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
Barrage Mohammed V. 15/01/05; Nador; 5,000 ha; 34°41'N 002°57'W. Site of Biological and Ecological Interest. The site consists of a reservoir from a dam that was built in 1967 on the Moulouya River, situated in an arid valley with several gorges, where the most common plant type is tamarisk, while on the upstream side eucalyptus abounds. The site constitutes an important refuge area for waterfowl in both summer, when members of Fulica atra and Tadorna casarca nest in the area, and winter, when 40 species frequent the site, with an average of more than 25,000 individuals. The reservoir also hosts the east Moroccan endemic barb, Barbus moulouyensis. The site provides the city of Nadur with potable water and allows the irrigation of 60,000 ha of land in the areas of Bou Areg and Triffa. The dam also contributes to hydropower generation and is a fishing site. No significant factors threaten the site. Ramsar site no. 1472. Most recent RIS information: 2005.
- National legal designation:
- Site of Biological and Ecological Interest
- Last publication date:15-01-2005