Nærå Coast and Æbelø area
- Site number:155
- Area:13,161 ha
- Designation date:02-09-1977
- Coordinates:55°36'N 10°10'E
Materials presented on this website, particularly maps and territorial information, are as-is and as-available based on available data and do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
Nærå Coast and Æbelø area. 02/09/77; Region Syddanmark; 13,161 ha; 55°36'N 010°13'E. Natura 2000 (SAC, SPA), Nature Conservation Areas, Wildlife Reserves. Shallow coastal waters with saltmarshes, farmland, forested areas, and islands of which Aebelo is the only inhabited one. The site is an internationally important area for wintering and staging waterbirds, including cormorants and geese, and includes Gyldensteen's meadows, one of the few staging areas in Denmark for the Greater White-fronted Goose Anser albifrons. Several Stone Age settlements and burial mounds are found within the site. The major threats to the ecological character of the wetland are eutrophication of coastal waters with regular blooms of filamentous algae and Sea Lettuce Ulva lactuca and meadow succession, posing a threat to goose populations. A management plan was developed in 2011 setting up site-specific nature goals and priorities. Parallel to this initiative, River Basin Management Plans have also been developed in order to improve water quality and the ecological status of wetland catchments and coastal areas. Ramsar site no. 155. Most recent RIS information: 2012.
- National legal designation:
- Special Area of Conservation (SAC) - Nærå Coast and Æbelø area
- Special Protection Area for Birds (SPA) - Nærå Coast and Æbelø area
- nature conservation area - Æbelø, Kisselbjerg – Nørreby Hals, Flyvesandet – Fuglsanggård.
- wildlife reserve
- Regional (international) legal designations:
- EU Natura 2000
- Last publication date:01-01-2012
Ramsar Information Sheet (RIS)
Additional reports and documents
- Taxonomic lists of plant and animal species occurring in the site
- Other published literature