Rhin Supérieur / Oberrhein
- Site number:1810
- Area:22,413 ha
- Designation date:05-09-2008
- Coordinates:48°25'N 07°45'E
Rhin supérieur / Oberrhein.05/09/08; Alsace; 22,413 ha; TRS centre 48°25N 007°45E. Natura 2000 SPA, National Nature Reseverve. The upper part of the river Rhines western bank, along nearly 170km. The hydrological regime has been strongly regulated in the 19th century and the site consists of many different natural areas such as relict swampy forests and meadows, but also humanmade habitats including dumps, canals and agricultural lands. The site support a large number of internationally protected species such as Bufo calamita,Castor fiber,Lutra lutra and Myotis myotis, and it provides nesting, resting, and wintering habitats for many birds, indeed every year an average of 55,000 migratory birds stop here. The Rhine also supports migratory fish species such as Salmo salar, Alosa alosa, Salmo trutta,Lampetra fluviatilis and Anguilla anguilla. Navigation, water sports, agriculture, hydroelectric power stations are only few of the main land uses. Canalization and deforestation could represent serious threats for the area. Ramsar site no. 1810. Most recent RIS information: 2008.
Rhin supérieur / Oberrhein is part of the Transboundary Ramsar Site with Oberrhein / Rhin supérieur Ramsar Site (No. 1809) in Germany, established in September 2008.
- National legal designation:
- Réserve naturelle nationale
- site protégé par arrêté préfectoral de protection des biotopes (APPB)
- réserve de chasse et de faune sauvage
- réserve biologique domaniale ou intégrale
- Regional (international) legal designations:
- EU Natura 2000
- Last publication date:05-09-2008