Tourbière de Moltifao
- Site number:1994
- Area:34 ha
- Designation date:27-10-2011
- Coordinates:42°28'N 09°09'E
Materials presented on this website, particularly maps and territorial information, are as-is and as-available based on available data and do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
The Site in the Asco river basin is the largest active raised bog on the island of Corsica. Several of its plant species are protected on a national, European or international level and some of them are not found anywhere else in Corsica. Over 200 species of mushroom have been recorded. Notable animal species are the European pond turtle (Emys orbicularis) and Hermann’s tortoise (Testudo hermanni). Hunting, fishing and some scientific and educational activites take place in the Site. Public visits have been planned every year since 2008 for World Wetlands Day. Urban developments near the Site have disrupted the river flow and pose a potential threat of water pollution. Additionally, fires and invasive Ailanthus altissima trees have an impact on the ecosystem.
- National legal designation:
- Cours d'eau classé en cat. 1 - rivière Asco
- Parc naturel régional de Corse
- Régime forestier - Forêt communale de Moltifao
- Réserve biologique dirigée - RBD de Valdo
- Regional (international) legal designations:
- EU Natura 2000
- Last publication date:13-07-2023