- Site number:2074
- Area:2,303 ha
- Designation date:13-02-2012
- Coordinates:50°50'N 15°18'E
Materials presented on this website, particularly maps and territorial information, are as-is and as-available based on available data and do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
Jizera Headwaters (Horni Jizera). 13/02/12; Liberec; 2,303 ha; 50°50'51"N 015°19'32"E. (National) Nature Reserve, Nature Monument, Protected Landscape Area, Natura 2000 (SCI, SPA). Situated in the floodplains of the Jizera River valley in the central part of the Jizera Mountains and bordering Poland, the site constitutes one of the largest raised bog complexes in temperate Europe, as well as transition mires and unregulated meandering mountain streams. It provides habitat for many nationally threatened species of flora and internationally threatened species of fauna, including nesting bird species Black Grouse Tetrao tetrix and Common Crane Grus grus. The site is also an important refuge for a number of mountain and peat bog associated spider species and diving beetles. The site acts as a water reservoir and is important for water retention, flow and flood regulation, and carbon fixation. Human uses include forestry, research, recreation and some tourism. The site is threatened by air pollution and forestry-related drainage. An observation tower, nature trails and information booklets exist. The site is a potential transboundary Ramsar Site with Poland. Ramsar Site number: 2074. Most recent RIS information: 2012.
- National legal designation:
- National Nature Reserve - Rašeliniště Jizerky & Rašeliniště Jizery
- Nature Monument - Na Kneipe; U Posedu; Vlčí louka
- Nature Reserve - Černá jezírka & Rybi loucky; Klečové louky; Na Čihadle; Prales Jizera
- Protected Landscape Area - Jizerské hory
- Sites of Community Importance - Rašeliniště Jizerky; Bukovec; Rašeliniště Jizery; Jizerské smrčiny
- Special Protection Area - Jizerské hory
- Regional (international) legal designations:
- EU Natura 2000
- Last publication date:13-02-2012