- Site number:286
- Area:632 ha
- Designation date:21-02-1984
- Coordinates:34°01'S 151°09'E
Materials presented on this website, particularly maps and territorial information, are as-is and as-available based on available data and do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
A system of seagrass, mangrove and saltmarsh communities, marine sub-tidal aquatic beds and terrestrial vegetation communities. The latter include she-oak (Casuarina) forest, littoral rainforest, littoral strandline and and a complex mosaic of dune sclerophyll scrub/forest. The Site contains approximately 40% of the remaining mangrove communities and 60% of the remaining saltmarsh communities in the Sydney region. As one of the few remaining areas of estuarine wetlands in that region, it is important for the survival of many bird species such as the endangered Eastern curlew (Numenius madagascariensis), the brown honeyeater (Lichmera indistincta), the mangrove gerygone (Gerygone levigaster) and the pied oystercatcher (Haematopus longirostris). Human activities include recreation and non-commercial fishing, with surrounding areas developed for industrial, residential and recreational uses.
New South Wales
- National legal designation:
- State Protected Area (NSW) - Towra Point Nature Reserve
- Last publication date:01-07-2022